Today, I finished my dissertation. All the proofreading, the editing, the revising. All the prefatory materials, the signature pages, the tables and figures. It’s all done.
Well, done until I defend and my committee says, “great job! but here are some changes we would like to see,” or when I start turning it into a full-fledged book.
I posted some stats on Facebook, but thought I would include them here, too–less likely to disappear into the ether.
Chapters: 6 (including intro)
Pages: 303 (including 23 of works cited, and 8 of prefatory material)
Words: 81,403 (including 12,195 of notes)
Notes: 391 (CMS style, but I used parenthetical citation for most of my primary texts)
Days from start to completion: 2346 (6 years, 5 months) or 968 (2 years, 7 months, 26 days), depending on whether you count from the first time I wrote anything that would end up in the diss, or from when I first started working on my prospectus.
To celebrate, my roommate and I cooked a massive dinner and went out to Cold Stone for ice cream afterwards. And in less than 12 hours, I start teaching again. I guess I got the dissertation done just in time!